Of late I’m on a gluten free run trying to limit the amount of gluten intake to the least. It becomes unavoidable many a times while making desserts esp. when trying to stick to classic adaptations. Trying to reduce white flour to the max. n replacing with alternate flours wherever possible helps in cutting down on the gluten factor to a huge extent.
This is a simple tray bake ‘Carrot chocolate slice’ that effortlessly brings together carrot, whole wheat n Chocolate. No complex flavours here. Can easily taste the flavours of carrot n chocolate distinctly coming through.
So here’s an easy to bake tasty, non fussy Carrot chocolate slice. The Chocolate sauce used here is the same that I have used in the recipe for Chocolate milk cookies.
Carrot chocolate slice recipe
- Carrot – 1 grated
- Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Corn flour – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Almond – 10 nos.
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Unsalted butter – 1 tbsp.
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp.
- Vinegar – 1 tsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1 pinch
For Chocolate layer
- Cocoa powder – 4 tbsp.
- Unsalted butter – 4 tbsp.
- Sugar – 4 tbsp.
- Milk – 4 tbsp.
- Pulse together Almond n sugar in a mixer jar.
- Add this to a mixing bowl along with whole wheat flour, corn flour, butter, salt, milk n Vanilla. Mix well.
- To this add grated carrot n combine.
- Further add baking soda n pour vinegar on top of the soda. You can c froth formed n this is what gives our Slice the rise(So rhyming?)
- Combine this with the batter n pour into a greased n lined baking tin. It’s best to line the tin all around to ensure smooth demoulding.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 30-35 mins./till the Slice looks slightly golden.
- Meanwhile prepare the chocolate sauce for the chocolate layer by adding Cocoa, butter, sugar n milk to a sauce pan.
- Simmer till the sauce separates from the pan n becomes slightly thick.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, pour the Chocolate sauce all over to form an even layer.
- Cool for a while till the sauce thickens before slicing into bars. Enjoy warm/chilled.