If u adore Chocolate, ur gonna love this tart. Nothing fancy here, just simple chocolate layered over basic short crust pastry.
N when I say chocolate, have used home-made chocolate for the recipe that doesn’t become hard like store-bought chocolate/compound chocolate. You can check out the recipe for home-made chocolate here.
You could make the Chocolate filling much ahead n store in the refrigerator for use at a later stage. So here goes the recipe for yummy Chocolate tart.
For chocolate filling
- Milk – 200 ml.
- Icing sugar – 115 gms.
- Milk powder – 60 gms.
- Cocoa powder – 10 gms.
For short crust pastry(tart shell)
- All purpose flour – 100 gms.
- Almond meal – 40 gms.
- Unsalted butter – 70 gms.
- Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp.
- Egg yolk – 1
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
* If using only All purpose flour(maida) without Almond meal, use 140 gms. of flour.
- Let’s begin by making the tart shell ( short crust pastry). Take the flour n Almond meal into a wide mixing bowl and add cold butter to this.
- Using a spoon/spatula incorporate the butter into the flour till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Further add sugar and mix it with the base. Add egg yolk and vanilla essence n give final mix using spoon/spatula.
- Now use ur fingers to bring the dough together into a rounded mass. Avoid using ur palm as this could make the butter melt and the dough warm. If by now the mix feels warm/ butter melted, refrigerate for 10 mins. before proceeding.
- Wrap in a cling film n refrigerate for half an hour before rolling out.
- After half an hour remove the cling film n place the tart base onto a butter paper.
- Place another butter paper on top and start rolling out using a rolling pin till the base has approx.1/2 inch thickness throughout. Uniform thickness ensures even baking. Rolling with a butter paper on makes it easier to roll n avoids the rolling pin sticking on to the dough.
- Now dust a little flour both on the tart base as well as on the tart tin.
- Now place the dusted rolling pin over the rolled out dough n slowly separate the dough from the butter paper n place over the rolling pin. Apply flour on all the exposed surfaces of the dough.
- Transfer the rolled out dough onto the dusted tart tin. Press the dough onto the tin giving it the shape of the tin. Remove any excess over hanging dough from the tart tin.
- Prick the surface all over using a fork to avoid the base puffing up while baking.
- To further weigh down the dough on to the tart tin, place a baking paper filled with any kind of beans over the tart shell n blind bake for 20 mins./till the pastry is cooked through.
- Further remove the beans and bake for another 15-20 mins. till the short crust pastry appears well done n golden.
- Meanwhile when the Short crust pastry is getting baked, make the Chocolate filling by adding milk, milk powder, cocoa powder n Icing sugar in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly. For the detailed recipe on how to make Chocolate, check the recipe for Chocolate here.
- Keep this on the heat n cook till the chocolate separates from the pan.
- Once done keep this aside for the tart shell to get done. Once the pastry is ready transfer the chocolate onto the shell n spread out evenly.
- Once the Chocolate sets, cut into bite sized slices. Serve chilled.