It was during my Engineering days that I first tasted the most luscious n creamy Coffee Ice-cream. It was infact a Chocolate milkshake topped with a scoop of delicious Coffee Ice cream.
Although it’s been more than a decade since then, my love for Coffee Ice-cream has stayed on. Never a Coffee person, but always a Coffee Ice-cream person.😁
This is the recipe for Ice-cream by making a basic Anglaise n adding the needed flavour. The Coffee syrup could be replaced with whichever flavour Ice-cream is needed.
A perfect Anglaise makes the perfect Ice-cream. I have churned my Anglaise in an Ice-cream maker, although it could be blended in a mixer as well.
Basic Anglaise calls for the usage of heavy cream. I have used fresh cream instead as I dint have heavy cream. So here goes the recipe for yummy Coffee Ice-cream.
Coffee Ice-cream recipe
- Egg yolk – 3 Nos.
- Sugar – 1/4 cup ( 55 gms.)
- Fresh cream – 250 ml.(Used Amul fresh cream)
- Milk – 1/3 cup( 85 gms. )
- Thick Coffee syrup – 1 tbsp.( Made by mixing instant coffee Powder in water)
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Take egg yolks, sugar n vanilla essence in a mixing bowl. Whisk till creamy.
- Add Coffee decoction n whisk further.
- Add milk n cream to a saucepan n heat this up until it is just hot.
- Pour this hot milk-cream solution to the egg-mix n whisk.
- Transfer this Ice-cream base back into a pan n onto the heat. Cook this on the lowest heat with continuous stirring with a wooden spatula. When it gets heated up n steam starts coming from the sides just before boiling, remove from heat n strain. On running the finger over the spatula a clear line is formed as shown in the pic. Do not allow it to boil, else the egg would get cooked n will curdle the mix.
- Strain this into a glass bowl n keep it refrigerated.
- Once cool, blend in a mixer or churn in an Ice-cream maker. Further transfer into an Ice-cream tub n freeze for couple of hours.
- Remove from the freezer n blend once again in a mixer n transfer back into the tub. If using Ice-cream maker, just scrape the surface using a fork(as shown in pic.) to remove any Ice crystals formed n continue with freezing.
- Freeze overnight for best results.
- The milk-cream soln. should not be boiled. It should just be heated before adding to the egg mix.
- While heating the egg-milk mix, keep stirring n keep an eye on the consistency n steam that forms. It will get a little thicker than cream n it’ll start steaming. Immediately remove from heat n strain to a glass bowl. Cooking beyond this point will lead to curdling of the Ice-cream base.