Today m Sharing with u guys the recipe for creamy n yummy Eggless Orange dessert cups. It’s an Orange sheet cake topped with luscious cream cheese-whipped cream frosting. So these could also be called as mini cakelettes.
The best part of being in Gujarat is the quality of milk that is available here. So almost every week I get to make fresh butter for all my baking needs. I have people asking me how much butter you would be buying as every recipe of urs is butter based. N my answer is almost nothing from outside at all, all thanx to the superb quality of milk n the amount of fresh butter that could b made. Wat more could a baker ask for.😇
Having said that today it’s no butter eggless Orange dessert cups that m doing. N the cream cheese that is required for the frosting is made from scratch. So let’s check out how to do this.
Eggless Orange dessert cups recipe
( 1 cup – 240ml.,1 tbsp – 15 ml.,1 tsp.- 5 ml.)
- All purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp.
- Powdered sugar – 3/8 cup
- Milk – 3/8 cup
- Oil – 1/6 cup
- Orange Juice – 1/8 cup
- Orange Zest – 1 tbsp.
- Vanilla essence- 1/2 tsp.
- Baking powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Milk – 1 ltr.
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp.
- Powdered sugar – 3 tbsp.
- Whipping cream – 100 ml.
- Orange zest – For Garnish
- Vanilla essence – few drops (optional)
- Let’s begin by making the Orange sheet cake for the dessert cups. Before starting with the process let’s grease, dust n line a large cake tin/sheet cake pan with parchment paper. I have used a 12″ cake tin. Use the largest size tin that u have, as we need a thin cake layer.
- Sift all the dry ingredients in a wide mixing bowl.( Flour, cornflour, sugar, baking powder, soda n salt )
- In another smaller bowl mix all the wet ingredients and Orange zest at room temperature.
- Now make a cavity in the centre of the dry mix n pour the wet mix into this.
- Fold steadily with a balloon whisk/spatula to get a free flowing lump free batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin n bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15mins./till the cake springs back to touch/till a skewer inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile to make cream cheese take milk in a deep pot n bring to boil. Now add lemon juice n simmer till the milk curdles completely n the whey n cream r separated. You could add a little more lemon juice if needed.
- Place a clean cloth over a strainer n pour the curdled milk through this. Keep this for a while till it comes to room temperature.
- Now pulse this in a mixer with powdered sugar, vanilla (optional) adding a little bit of whey( or water) that was strained, till it forms a smooth paste.
- Transfer this sweetened cream cheese to a container n refrigerate.
- Take whipping cream in another bowl n whip till stiff peaks r formed. To this add the chilled cream cheese n give another quick whisk. We need the final frosting to still hold stiff peaks.
- Once the sheet cake has cooled down completely, let’s get on with the assembling part. Take the dessert cups n keep it ready. Using cookie cutters of the size of the base of the cups, cut out portions from the sheet cake n layer the base of the cups.
- Now pipe a layer of frosting over the cake. Repeat the process alternating the cake n the frosting layers. I have used small dessert cups n hence just one layer could be done this way. Depending on the size of Ur cups increase the no.of layers.
- On the topmost frosting sprinkle orange zest and refrigerate till the time to serve.