As the name goes, this is a cookie soaked in Honey-orange syrup making it oozy inside with a cakey texture. Though it looks like any other cookie, one bite n u definitely know there’s much more to it.
I have used powdered almonds to top up the cookies which could be replaced with walnuts as well. Also the sugar quantity could be reduced further based on personal choices as the end product will be quite sweet as honey n orange syrup gets infused inside the cookie cake. Further, do not omit lemon from the syrup as this is what gives much needed tanginess to the cookie cake.
Finally enjoy the soft cookie cake n handle delicately as this can crumble easily due to the syrupy nature.
Honey soaked orange cookie cake
- Cake flour -3 cups
- Olive oil – 1 1/4 cups ( or any flavourless oil)
- Superfine sugar – 1/3 cup
- Juice n zest of 1 orange
- Baking soda -1/2 tsp.
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Clove powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Nutmeg grated – 1 pinch
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Honey – 1/2 cup
- Juice of 1 Orange
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Coarsely Powdered almond/walnut
Makes approx. 24 cookies.
- Sieve the flour, baking soda n salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, spices n give a thorough whisk.( I added 3 cloves to the sugar while making superfine sugar, thus avoiding Clove powder.)
- Now add the wet ingredients Olive oil, juice n zest of orange juice into this dry mix.
- Slowly bring the mix together n make a dough with hands.
- Make small roundles and slightly flatten and give the desired shape. I have made my cookie cakes into small oval pieces. Place them on a baking tray with sufficient spacing in-between.
- With the backside of a fork make a criss-cross marking on the cookies. Bake at 180C till the cookies turn a light brown in colour abt.20-25 mins.
- Make a syrup by adding Honey, Orange, Lemon juice n water.
- When the cookies r out of the oven n still hot, dip them into the syrup completely using a slotted spoon/fork.
- Immediately transfer onto a wire rack and sprinkle powdered almonds / walnuts on top.
- Serve warm. Once it dries n stops dripping any extra liquid, transfer to an airtight glass bowl n store refrigerated for a couple of days. This cookie cake tastes best when served warm n fresh.