Another beautiful example of an Indian dessert that could stand at par with any other world classic. Easily made with everyday ingredients and most importantly – no ice-cream machine, the Kesar kulfi is one of my all time favorites.
This is yet another recipe that takes me back to my childhood days. I still have fresh memories of the plastic kulfi mould that my mom used to fill with every possible ice-creamy concoction and proudly present to us as “The Kulfi.” Myself & my brother believed it to be the real deal as we had never had the real one. 😀 So every time kulfi is made, my mind drifts back to those sweet memories.
Kulfi just simply put is “Rabri plus the thickening agent.” Two yummy desserts made from full cream milk, that tastes totally different with simple tweaks given at different points in the cooking process. Interesting rite… 🙂
There are various varieties of kulfis that could be made. Here I’ve made the basic Kesar kulfi with assorted dry fruits. Give a twist to this kulfi recipe with your favourite flavorings and toppings and I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the outcome.
Kesar kulfi recipe
Prep time: 5 mins.; Cooking time: 35 mins.
- Full cream Milk – 1 ltr.
- Sugar – 5 tbsp.
- Arrowroot powder – 1 tbsp.
- Milk – 3 tbsp.
- Dry fruits powdered – Handful ( I have taken pistachio, cashew & almond each 10 nos.)
- Kesar – 10 to 11 strands
- Rose water – 1 tsp.
- Take milk in a wide, deep & thick bottom pan.
- Keep on a low flame and keep scraping the sides of the pan and add all the cream collected back to the milk.
- Keep stirring till the milk reduces to about 1/3rd of the original quantity. This will take approx. 25-30 mins. on the lowest heat.
- Now add sugar and kesar to the reduced milk.
- Let the sugar dissolves completely and the kesar get well infused into the milk.
- Dissolve arrowroot powder in 3 tbsp. milk in a bowl.
- Add this to the milk and stir till it is well infused with milk without any lumps.
- Once the milk starts to thicken, add the powdered dry fruits.
- Mix well and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Add rose essence and give a final mix.
- Take the kulfi mix off the heat and keep it aside till it reaches room temperature.
- Once cooled, pour into kulfi moulds and cover with suitable lids or aluminum foil.
- Freeze till the kulfi is well set.
- Once set, slowly run a knife all around the sides of the kulfi.
- De mould on to a serving plate.
1. Take milk in a wide and deep thick bottom pan.