Yet another Loaf cake that could be a perfect breakfast slice or an evening tea accompaniment.
This is a slice cake that has equal parts of white flour n whole wheat flour. Added with the goodness n richness of Dates, Walnuts n Oranges this makes for a wholesome loaf.
The resulting cake will be sweet. So you could always reduce 1-2 tbsp. sugar depending on ur sweet preferences.
You could check out all the other loaf cake recipes like Ghee cake, Chocolate bread, Cherry Almond loaf cake, Chocolate banana slab, that I have previously posted though none of these are eggless. All the eggless loafs I tried till date lack the sponginess n moistness of the eggy ones.. Will soon be testing out few eggless versions n sharing…So stay put for further updates on that 😉 Until then, have fun baking😇😇
Layered Date Walnut Tea loaf recipe
( 1 cup – 250ml.,1 tbsp – 15 ml.,1 tsp.- 5 ml.)
- Unsalted butter – 185 gms.
- Brown sugar – 3/4 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 2/3 cup
- All purpose flour – 2/3 cup
- Dates – 100 gms.
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Eggs – 3 nos.
- Orange – 1 ( Juice n zest )
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 2 tsp.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Walnut halves for arranging on top – 6 to 8
- Sift all the dry ingredients n keep aside.
- Take Dates in a sauce pan, add Orange juice n water to this n simmer on a low heat for 3-4mins.till the Dates r just softened. Do not overdo the heating part as we need the liquid in this Date reduction. Transfer to a bowl n keep aside to cool.
- Take room temp. butter in a mixing bowl n add sugar to this. Whip till creamy n pale.
- Add egg one at a time whipping the batter after each addition till the eggs r well incorporated.
- Now add flour little at a time while folding after each addition. Finally add chopped Walnuts with the last batch of flour n fold smoothly to get the batter ready.
- Take a loaf tin ( Mine is a 22×9.5×9 cm. loaf tin which has a capacity of 1 kg.), grease n line the bottom n sides with parchment paper.
- As this is a layered Loaf cake, we r going to layer the cake with alternate layers of the batter n the Date reduction. Divide the cake batter into 3 with the bottom n top covered with the cake batter n middle 2 layers of Date reduction. The cake batter will be a little thick in consistency, so will have to be spread using a spatula/back of a tablespoon.
- Over the topmost cake batter place the walnut pieces at even intervals.
- Bake at 180C for 50-55 mins. till the cake is risen n golden in colour. Serve warm or cold dressed with Orange zest. I like this loaf cooled..😊