This recipe is similar to the Orange blossom Chiffon tube cake that I posted sometime back. This is a lemony take on the Orange cake resulting in spongy n lightly tarty cakelettes.
I had actually tried replacing Orange with Lemon completely which resulted in a heavily tarty cake which was a total disaster 🙄. Then with few trials n errors came up with these measurements which give the right balance to the flavours.
I call these cakelettes as they do not look like cupcakes / muffins n resemble miniature cakes. So here goes the recipe for yummy Mini Lemon cakelettes. Enjoy 😊😊
Mini Lemon cakelettes
- Cake flour – 56 gms.
- Super fine sugar – 75 gms.
- Flavourless oil – 27 gms.
- Egg yolk – From 2 eggs approx.(32 gms.)
- Egg white – From 2 1/2 eggs approx.(75 gms.)
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tbsp.(7.5 gms.)
- Water – 1/6 cup approx.(39 gms.)
- Lemon zest – 1/4 tbsp.
- Baking soda – 1/8 tsp.
- Cream of tartar – 1/4 tsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Icing sugar – For garnish (Optional)
- Take all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl except cream of tartar n 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Take egg whites in another bowl and whip till it get frothy.
- At this stage add cream of tartar and whip till it forms soft peaks.
- Further the reserved 1tbsp.of super fine sugar n whip till it forms stiff peaks.
- Now add the wet ingredients into dry mix and whip with hand mixer/electric mixer n combine.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into muffin ungreased moulds/ liners and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for abt. 40mins.
- Baking time varies with the size of the muffin liners. For smaller ones the time will be lesser. The resulting cakelettes will not puff up/crack like the regular cupcakes/muffins. They will be almost flat on top. Wait till the cakelettes get a golden crust and bounce back to touch. Dust with Icing sugar if you like to take these cakelettes a level up. They taste good as it is.