My lo’s birthday was coming up and I was thinking of making something that he would love by all means. I was brushing up my mind for ideas on birthday cakes and delicacies and was thinking of all those birthday parties I had attended till date. I was on the look out for something a little different from the normal fancy birthday cakes.
So just in time as always, my dearest bestie Kavya shared the recipe of a carrot cake which turned out to be a hit among her family and friends. My mind got instantly hooked on to the idea of this Carrot cake, more so as it was a whole wheat cake.
I tried out this cake and it turned out beautiful..The slight masala punch the spices impart to the cake brings in a fresh twist to a normal carrot cake. And an added highlight is the whole wheat that goes into making this yummy cake without affecting its taste one bit. On the whole, a must try cake for all the cake lovers out there. 🙂
Moist whole wheat Carrot cake recipe
Prep time: 20 mins.; Cooking time: 35 mins.
( Have taken 1 cup=240 ml.)
- Whole wheat flour – 3/4th cup
- All purpose flour – 1/4th cup
- Carrot grated – 1 1/2 cup
- Caster Sugar – 1 cup
- Oil – 3/4th cup
- Mixed nuts – 3/4th cup
- Eggs – 3 nos.
- Ginger juice – 1/2 tsp.
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tbsp.
- Clove powder – 1/4th tsp.
- Nutmeg grated – 1/4th tsp.
- Baking soda – 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Take oil and sugar in a mixing bowl and combine.
- To this add eggs on by one along with the spice powders, ginger juice and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flours, baking soda and salt to the wet mix.
- Once combined without lumps, add the grated carrots and nuts.
- Mix well and transfer the cake batter to a buttered and dusted cake tin.
- Bake at 175C for 35 mins./till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Demould the cake from the tin once it is completely cool.
- Serve as it is or with a topping of whipped cream/butter cream frosting.
- Take oil in a mixing bowl and add sugar to it. Whisk to combine the mix.
- Now add egg along with ginger juice and cinnamon powder and whip to blend everything together.
- Add another egg along with clove-nutmeg powder and vanilla essence.
- Whip till a creamy smooth mix is obtained.
- Now sieve in both the flours, baking soda and salt to the wet mix.
- Fold the batter till it becomes lump free.
- To this add grated carrots and nuts and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased and dusted cake tin.
- Now bake at 175C for 35 mins./till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Wait for the cake to completely cool before demoulding. Serve the yummy carrot cake with a cup of tea.