I started out making Coconut barfi n ended up making these Oats almond laddu.😁 I had just 1 cup Coconut n was looking forward to making a bigger batch. Had a tin of freshly made Ground rolled Oats, that I make regularly for my younger one. Added with half a quantity of almond meal for the crunch n came up with this yummy nutritious Oats almond laddu.
The resulting Laddu will be sweet as I have used 1 cup of sugar. 3/4 cup sugar would give just the right sweetness.
I did try out spreading the Coconut oats mix in a greased cake tin to cut out in the shape of barfi. But then I din’t give it enough time to dry out n harden before cutting out pieces n thus was sticky. So if u would still like to make barfi, transfer onto a greased n lined pan n spread the mix evenly. Refrigerate for approx. 30 mins./ till stiff to touch. Cut into barfi squares n serve.
Oats almond laddu
(1 cup – 250ml)
- Coconut – 1 cup( Freshly grated)
- Oat meal – 1/2 cup (Ground rolled oats)
- Almond meal – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 3/4-1 cup ( 3/4 cup would give just the right n subtle sweetness. Adjust as per taste)
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Almond slivered – For garnish
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Add all the ingredients except cardamom powder into a wide non-stick pan.
- Cook on a low to medium flame till the mixture thickens to form a mass n separates from the pan. Initially till all the liquid from the sugar evaporates, the mix would be watery. Within another 10 minutes the dough would start taking form. Finally add cardamom powder and mix.
- Now transfer into a bowl n wait for the mix to slowly get to room temperature. If making Laddu, small roundles could be made from this. For Barfi, spread the mix on to a square cake tin greased n lined with ghee, the way depicted in the second pic below. Keep refrigerated for half an hour before cutting Barfi squares. If making Laddu continue with making roundles.
- Grease ur palm with ghee n make small roundles. Garnish with slivered almonds. These Laddus will be sticky to touch when warm n gets stiffer when refrigerated. Stays good refrigerated for 4-5 days.
- I have used coarsely ground almond meal as I like the almond bits I get with each bite n also gives good texture to the Laddu.