Chiffon cakes are spongy, lite cakes that do not have butter in them n have whipped up egg whites added separately that gives them an airy soft texture.
This Orange blossom chiffon tube cake is different from a basic chiffon cake in a way that it has cream of tartar that makes it much more lighter than any other chiffon cake. Also the orange juice and grated zest gives this cake such a beautiful freshness that it goes super well as an accompaniment with a hot cup of tea.
A tube cake pan is ideally used for this cake. Since I did not have one, a round cookie cutter was placed in the middle of the cake tin and the batter poured around.
Lemon juice could be used in place of Orange juice to get a yummy Lemon chiffon cake. So here goes the recipe for tasty Orange blossom chiffon tube cake.
Orange blossom chiffon tube cake
- Cake flour – 56 gms.
- Super fine sugar – 75 gms.
- Flavourless oil – 27 gms.
- Egg yolk – From 2 eggs approx.(32 gms.)
- Egg white – From 2 1/2 eggs approx.(75 gms.)
- Fresh orange juice – 45 gms.( From 1 orange)
- Orange zest – 1/2 tbsp.
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Cream of tartar – 1/4 tsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Take all the dry ingredients ( cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in a mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly. Keep aside 1 tbsp. of sugar to be added later with the egg whites while whipping.
- Make a Well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients(oil, egg yolk, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla essence).
- Whip with an electric beater/hand whisk to get a creamy batter.
- In another clean mixing bowl take the separated egg whites.
- Whip till it gets frothy. Now add cream of tartar.
- Further whip till it reaches a soft peak consistency. Then add the reserved 1 tbsp. Sugar to this.
- Whip further till it reaches a stiff peak consistency.
- Add the whipped egg whites to the wet batter and fold in slowly with a balloon whisk/spatula, without breaking the air incorporated while whipping up.
- Take a 6″cake pan and pour the batter into it. In the absence of a tube pan, a cookie cutter can be placed in the middle of the cake tin and the batter poured around it, the way I have done.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 50-55 mins./till the cake springs back to touch.
- Once done let the cake cool completely (approx. 1hr.) before demoulding. The cake would have shrunk from the sides making it easier to run a knife around and to remove from the tin.
- To make cake flour, Take 1 cup maida remove 2 tbsp. maida from this n add 2 tbsp.corn flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Superfine sugar is roughly powdered sugar with a mix of fine and coarse crystals. Using Superfine sugar yields a spongier cake.
- To get the exact wt.in gms. for egg yolk, separate 2 yolks whisk them n then weigh on the weighing scale adjusting the quantity as per the recipe. Same applies for egg white as well.
- I have used an ungreased cake tin here. It’s not necessary to grease the cake tin as the cake is demoulded once it is completely cool and leaves the sides of the pan.
- All the measurements are given in grams as this gives accurate result.
- Just before baking run a knife all around the batter in the cake tin to break any trapped air bubbles.