Straight out of the classics, this is a celebration cake that tastes delicious all by itself with no adornments required what so ever. I have used the traditional method of baking this cake using all egg yolks, making this a rich yet delicious dessert.
Have used fresh Pineapple for the recipe although canned ones would give you the perfect finished look without any extra moisture oozing out which becomes unavoidable in case of fresh ones. Since I prefer using fresh fruit in any dessert, have used the same here.
So no tweaks n turns here, just the way it should be made ( except for the cherries that I skipped as I dint have it), here’s the recipe for delectible Pineapple Upside down cake. Try Ur variation with Apples, Bananas or Pears. Let’s get baking ?
Pineapple upside down cake recipe
For the top layer
- Unsalted butter – 55 gms.
- Brown sugar – 50 gms.
- White sugar – 50 gms.
- Sliced Pineapple – From 1 Pineapple
For the cake
- Unsalted butter – 125 gms.
- Superfine sugar – 150 gms.
- Cake flour – 150 gms.
- Egg yolks – 3 nos.
- Full cream milk – 120 gms.
- Vinegar – 1 tsp.
- Baking powder- 3/4 tsp.
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – 2 pinch
- Vanilla essence – 1tsp.
- Take Full cream milk at room temperature in a bowl n add vinegar to this. Mix n keep aside. This would curdle n become sour milk in 5-10 mins.
- Now let’s get the top layer for cake ready. Take a 10″ cake tin n add brown n white sugar to this along with butter.
- Keep the tin over the stove top n lightly heat to melt the butter. Take this off the heat n whisk well till the sugar gets dissolved in the residual heat of the melted butter.(Alternately u could heat the butter sugar mix in another bowl n add it to the tin). Swirl the tin around to coat the tin all around with the butter sugar soln.
- Arrange thinly sliced Pineapple pieces in the tin starting with 1 in the middle and the remaining all around this. I could place exactly 6 pieces around the central piece. Now cut the remaining slices into semi circles n place them all around with the flat edge of each semi- circle touching the base of the cake tin. Place this prepped cake tin in the refrigerator till the cake batter gets ready.
- Now to make the cake batter, take all the dry ingredients ( flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder n salt) in a mixing bowl n whisk lightly.
- In another bowl whisk together egg yolks, 1/4th of the sour milk n vanilla essence.
- Add softened butter n remaining sour milk to the dry ingredients n whip thoroughly to wet the batter evenly.
- Next add the egg-sour milk mix in three batches, whipping thoroughly after each addition.
- Transfer the cake batter into the cooled Pineapple lined cake tin n smoothen out the batter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 40-50 mins./ Till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Run a knife all around n invert on to a tray. Serve immediately. Stays fresh for a couple of days in the refrigerator.