Yet another spongy lite cake, this cake is a lighter version of my Honey spice cake. This is lighter by the usage of only egg whites in place of whole eggs, making the end product airy n moist.
The spices used gives a distinct aroma n flavour to the cake, taking it a point above the regular pound cake.
So here’s the recipe for tasty ‘Spice pound cake’.
Spice pound cake
- Unsalted butter – 114 gms.
- Cake flour – 100 gms.
- Superfine sugar – 10o gms.
- Cocoa powder 1 tsp.
- Egg white – From 2 eggs
- Milk – 30 gms.
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Clove powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Prepare a 6″ cake tin for baking.
- If u do not have clove powder, take 3 cloves and powder it along with sugar the way I have done.
- Now take all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Lightly beat the egg whites, milk n vanilla essence in another bowl.
- Whip the butter till creamy.
- Add the whipped butter n half of the egg mix to the dry ingredients and beat slowly intially to moisten the batter and then at the highest speed for a minute to bring the dough together.
- Add the remaining egg mix in 2 batches, whipping up for 1/2 a minute after each addition.
- Finally with a spatula bring the batter together and pour into the prepared cake tin. Do not worry if the batter appears curdled at the moment. This is due to the addition of egg-milk mix n cocoa powder n will even out with baking.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 45-50 mins./ till the cake springs back to touch.
- Serve warm.
- To make a boozy cake replace Vanilla essence with 1 tsp. of the liquor of ur choice. This will enhance n bring out the spice factor in the cake.