This recipe is a perfect example of how a cake could turn into a halwa. 😛 Though not as weird as a frog turning into a prince with a mere kiss 😀 , the result was least expected when I started baking. But surprise surprise, the outcome was way too yummy, so thot of uploading my disastrous trial which was met with thumps up by everyone who had it. This does imply that accidents could yield swee…t results after all.. 😉
An original cake recipe from my brother with small unintended tweaks, and what I got was a soft and spongy dates halwa. This is an easy to bake treat that requires very little prep. With no beating or careful folding required, this is an easy recipe that could be whipped up in no time and could be well accommodated into your busy schedule.
So treat your dear ones with this spongy dates halwa and enjoy seeing them savour every bite of it.
Spongy dates halwa recipe:
Prep time: 15 mins.; Cooking time: 30-35 mins.
(Have taken 1 cup=250ml.)
* Dates de seeded – 250gms.
* All-purpose-flour – 1 cup
* Sugar – 1/2 cup
* Milk – 1 cup
* Oil – 1 cup
* Vinegar – 1/2 tsp.
* Baking soda – A pinch
* Salt – A pinch
* Strawberry syrup – For dressing
* Soak the dates in hot milk for 2 hrs.
* Blitz the soaked dates, milk and sugar in a mixer to a fine purée.
* Transfer to a mixing bowl.
* Add oil to the date purée and combine.
* To this sieve in the flour, soda, salt and vinegar.
* Mix well till the batter gets free from lumps.
* Transfer to a greased and dusted baking tin.
* Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 30-35 mins./ till a skewer inserted in the middle of the halwa comes out clean.
* De mould once the halwa comes to room temperature.
* Serve as it is or with a splash of strawberry syrup.
1. Soak the dates in hot milk for 2hrs.