It was just the previous week that I got a bunch of fresh Oranges online with a couple of recipes on my mind. One was the Layered Date n Walnut Tea loaf that I shared last week n another was a fresh cream cake that dint work out as was expected n turned out a disaster 😬🤐.
This is a cookie that I have been trying out in different forms to get that one particular taste that I was familiar with from the bakeries of Cochin. The first bite n hubby said ‘Oh u made Satta’..N that is when I zeroed in on this version. I really have no idea where the name comes from. That’s what I’ve heard crumbly bakery Style cookies being called over there. So this can be called a Nutty version of Satta 😊
This is a Satta that uses Orange zest in combo with Cashews n Dates. The lite citrusy flavour from the zest beautifully enhances the sweetness from dates n the crunchiness of cashews. I have used lesser quantity of sugar in this recipe so that the sweetness of Dates could get through. So let’s get on with the recipe for Crumbly Bakery Style Nutty Date cookies.
Bakery style Nutty Date cookies recipe
( 1 cup – 250ml.,1 tbsp – 15 ml.,1 tsp.- 5 ml.)
- Unsalted butter – 125 gms.
- White/brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour – 175 gms.
- Cashews – 65 gms.(approx. 1/2 cup Finely chopped)
- Dates – 50 gms.(approx. 1/3 cup Finely chopped)
- Orange zest – from 1 Orange
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Milk – 1 tbsp.(if required)
- Take soft butter in a mixing bowl n whip along with sugar till it gets creamy n the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add flour to another bowl n mix the finely chopped nuts, dates n Orange zest to this. Mix well.
- Add the dry mix into whipped butter little at a time n bring the cookie dough together till it becomes a mass. Add up to 1 tbsp. of milk if the dough appears too dry.
- Keep the dough refrigerated for about half an hour. Now make small ball from the dough n arrange them on a lined baking tray.
- Using the back of a fork press the roundles to form a pattern. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 25-30 mins./ Till the surface gets lightly brownish in colour. Once cool store in an airtight container.