When I had Carrot Halwa for the first time, I never realized what it was. I just savored it without having a clue to what was in the sweet treat. And when I finally got to know that it’s carrot that has gone into making this delicious dessert I was pleasantly surprised, more so at the thought of how could I ever love something made with the veggie I was not particularly fond of . However, thus began my love story with carrots . That is when I started my research on the veggie and realized how nutritious they are. From then till date carrots have been a part of our regular diet.
So here goes that yummy carrot halwa recipe for you guys –
Carrot Halwa Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins; Cooking time: 30 mins.
- Carrot – 185 gms *
- Milk – 500 ml.
- Sugar – 50 gms
- Ghee/Clarified Butter – 2 tbsp.*
- Cardamom – A pinch
- Raisins – For Garnish
- Shred the Carrots and keep aside.
- Take milk in a wide bottom pan and bring to a boil.
- Keep stirring the milk till the quantity reduces.
- Add sugar at this point and continue stirring.
- Let the milk reduce till it becomes yellowish and thick.
- At this point take the pan off the heat.
- Take Ghee in a frying pan, roast the raisins and keep aside.
- To this pan put the shredded carrots and stir fry till the raw smell of carrots reduce and it changes colour.
- Now add the reduced milk and keep stirring till everything is combined well.
- By now the milk should have completely infused into the carrots.
- Add cardamom and give a final mix.
- Garnish with raisins and serve.
- I have used 4 medium sized carrots for this recipe.
- Unsalted butter could be used in place of ghee.
1. Bring milk to boil in a wide bottom pan.
2. Add sugar when the quantity of milk starts reducing.
3. Reduce the milk till it becomes yellowish and thick. Approx. reduced to 200 ml.
4. Take the pan off the heat and transfer the milk into a container kept at room temperature.
5. Take Ghee in a pan and roast raisins in it.
6. Once roasted, remove the raisins and put the shredded carrots into the same Ghee.
7. Stir fry the Carrots till its colour slightly changes and the raw smell reduces.
8. Add the reduced milk and stir till all the milk is well infused into the carrots.
9. Add Cardamom and give a final mix. Garnish with Raisins.
10. Carrot Halwa is ready to be served.