The combination of Cream cheese n Carrot cake is as beautiful as that of Cream cheese with Red velvet. The contrast in flavours have a lovely balance that enhances the allspice of Carrot cake n takes away the sweetishness of a Red velvet.
The cream cheese icing used here was made with leftover cream cheese that I had used for my lil’ boy’s Red velvet birthday cake last week. So if you do not like very sweet cakes n love cream cheese this one is definitely for you guys. Plus this is a whole wheat cake with the goodness of Carrots n Walnuts making it all the more desirable.
I have previously posted another recipe for yummy Moist whole wheat Carrot cake that is made with a combination of Whole-wheat n white flour n is equally delicious. So let’s get baking this complete whole wheat treat..☺️
Cheesy whole wheat Carrot Walnut cake Recipe
( 1 cup – 250ml.,1 tbsp – 15 ml.,1 tsp.- 5 ml.)
For the cake
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Carrot grated – 3/4 cup
- Oil – 1/2 cup
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup ( Roughly chopped )
- Brown sugar – 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp.
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Egg – 1 no.
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
- Ground ginger – 1/4 tsp.
- Grated cinnamon & nutmeg – 1/4 tsp
For the Icing
- Cream cheese – 1/4 cup
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp.
- Icing sugar – 1/4 cup
- Lemon rind – 1 tbsp.
- Sieve the dry ingredients Wheat flour, Soda, ground ginger, cinnamon n nutmeg in a bowl n keep aside.
- In another mixing bowl take egg n then add brown sugar, oil n whisk thoroughly.
- To this add carrots n walnuts n mix.
Slowly add in the sieved flour in bring together the batter. The batter would be thick by now.
- To this add milk n mix.
- Spread the batter into a greased n dusted cake tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 40-50 mins./ till well done n slightly risen.
- To make the frosting, take the cream cheese, butter, Icing sugar n Lemon zest in a bowl n whip till it gets creamy. We do not need a stiff frosting, so just whisk with a fork or balloon whisk till the Icing looks creamy.
- Once the cake cools, pour the icing over it n spread evenly.
- Once it sets, cut into squares n serve. Store refrigerated.