Here’s how to make Fondant Icing easily at home.
It was my son’s birthday yesterday. So thought of making a sponge cake covered with Fondant, to make it more appealing.
Here goes the recipe for Fondant icing.
Fondant Icing Recipe
- Icing sugar – 500 gms.
- Glucose syrup /corn syrup – 60 ml.
- Gelatin – 1/2 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil / glycerin – 3/4 tbsp.
- Cold water – 30 ml.
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Take gelatin in a large mixing bowl and and add cold water to this.
- Give a mix with ur finger to roughly dissolve the gelatin in water and keep aside for about 5 mins. till the gelatin soaks up all the liquid.
- Now keep this swelled up gelatin for double boiling on slightly simmering water.
- Stir till the gelatin gets completely melted and takes a liquidy state.
- To this add glucose syrup and let it melt completely.
- Now pour in the veg. oil and vanilla essence, give a thorough whisk and take off the heat.
- When the liquid base is still warm, add the icing sugar little at a time and work through it with a ladle.
- Bring together everything into a dough form working with ur hand.
- Make the counter top ready for rolling the dough, by spreading ample amount of icing sugar. Dust sufficient amount of icing sugar on the rolling pin. as well. Take the dough out of the bowl and place on the dusted surface. Apply sufficient amount of oil on palm to avoid dough sticking to hand. Roll with the rolling pin and work the dough with the hands and bring it back into shape.
- Cover with a cling film and store in an airtight container at room temperature. This stays fresh for 2 months. Further store in refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Just before using on cake, take out sufficient fondant and place on icing sugar dusted surface. Grease the palm and work on the dough till it gets soft enough for rolling. Add the required colour and mix the dough to get uniform colour. Further roll with rolling pin to about 1″ thickness and make desired shapes.