This was made during my lil’girl’s birthday week n was custom made to suit her taste buds. She just turned ‘1’ n has no specific liking for sweet treats.?? To a kid whose taste buds cannot process anything sweeter than digestive biscuits, the thought of giving a chocolate cake was far fetched. So I wanted to create something that was tasty, not too sweet, appeared cute n of course was gluten-free.
So this is a 3 ingredient cake/chocolate (take ur call) that needs very little baking time. U’ll need good quality dark chocolate( not any compound) with 50-53% cocoa. Chocolate with any higher % of cocoa would call for added sugar, or else the cake would taste bitter.
This recipe would make approx. 10 small chocolates. You could triple the quantity n make a 6″ Choco cake. Also if making a large cake, follow the same procedure n pour the cake batter directly into the inner cake tin without the cookie cutter setup. Now let’s c how to do it.
Mini Flourless choco cake recipe
- Dark chocolate – 115 gms.(I used Bournville dark chocolate with 50% cocoa)
- Unsalted butter – 1/4 cup(approx.55 gms.)
- Egg – 1 no.
- Melt the butter n chocolate together in a double boiler. This could also be done in a microwave.
- Take egg in a bowl, keep this over a double boiler n whisk till the egg feels lightly warm.
- When just warm take off the double boiler n whip till the egg gets tripled in volume n forms soft peaks.
- Fold the whipped eggs little by little into the choco-butter base n mix till well incorporated.
- Now let’s get the setup ready for baking these mini chocolates or cakes. Take a small (min 6″) cake tin(greased n bottom lined with butter paper) n place small cookie cutters(well greased) inside. Place this cake tin setup inside a large cake tin.
- Pour the cake batter inside these small cookie cutters. Pour hot water inside the large cake tin, surrounding the smaller cake tin to approx. 1″ ht. We r making a steam/bake setup ready with this method.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C for 5 mins. n take the cake tins off the oven. The cake would be half done at this point.
- Cover the smaller cake tin with an aluminium foil n bake for a further 8-10 mins. n remove from the oven…n we r done?.
- Let the cake cool completely n slowly run a knife around the cookie cutters n demould. I have stacked the cakes one above the other n decorated with rice crispies just to make it appealing for the birthday girl.
- If baking a larger cake follow the same procedure, let the cake rest in the tin till completely cool n then refrigerate till it’s hard before demoulding.